The heavens declare the glory of God, *
and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1
Every time I read this Psalm, I immediately flash to high school choir at Mechanicsburg High School with choir director Mr. Stewart. I loved Mr. Stewart, how he taught music, how he taught those of us in choir. He challenged us. So much of the way I sing is because Mr. Stewart is in my head, clapping his hands to stop us or to start us up in rehearsal. As an adult, I felt so blessed that Mr. Stewart joined the church I’d grown up in. So even then I saw him and benefitted from him.
News & Notes
Rebecca’s Schedule: Rebecca will be at the Diocesan Clergy Conference October 6-8 and at St. John’s on Thursday, October 9. Her Sabbath Day will be Friday October 10. You can get a message to her by calling the church office at 606-528-1659 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adult Forum: The Adult Forum will help set up the amphitheater for church this Sunday. Beginning October 12, we will discuss various aspects being good stewards.
Sunday School – Godly Play: The Godly Play program is for children is offered each Sunday morning at 10:00 am . All children are invited to participate in this special form of spiritual development.
Godly Play Teachers needed. Godly Play teachers are needed. Training is provided. This is a wonderful program of spiritual development for children and we’d like to keep it going in the parish. Please let Rebecca know if you are willing to be trained and serve as a teacher for a period of approximately 1 month.
Belk Charity Sales Day: The annual Belk Charity Sales day will be Saturday, November 8, 6-10am. Members of St. John’s are selling tickets for $5.00 for this special event. The church keeps the $5.00 and for each ticket you receive $5.00 off an item.
We will be having an initial gathering of those interested in the Brotherhood of St. Andrew on October 5 after the Sunday service. To learn more, speak to Bruce Cory. You can also learn more from http://www.brotherhoodofstandrew.org/about.php
Furnace Needed: The furnace located in the sacristy, which heats part of the social hall and hallways must be replaced prior to this winter. Cost is $2,250 for a furnace that will also be more energy efficient. We’ll also need to replace two more furnaces over the next two years: one that heats the parish hall and one that heats the rectory. Donations for the furnace can be put in the boxes back on the shelves in the parish hall.
Bring your pets to church to be blessed on Sunday, October 5. We will have a service outdoors in our park (or in the amphitheater). Pets should be leashed and/or in carriers.
The Grow Appalachia Committee will meet after church on Sunday, October 5, to distribute flyers for the October 8 community meeting. The Community meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 8, 7:00pm in the parish hall. All are invited.
The Vestry has voted to donate $25 each month to Everlasting Arm Homeless Shelter. If you’d like to contribute, put your donations in the collection box by the guest register or mark your donation and put it in the collection plate.
St. John’s is now registered with the Kroger Community Rewards Program. Please register your Kroger card at http://krogercommunityrewards.com .
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up.
- If a member does not yet have a Kroger Plus card, please let them know that they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger.
- Click on Sign In/Register
- Most participants are new online customers, so they must click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter NPO number (47782) or name of organization, select organization from list and click on confirm.
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization’s name on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for your group until after your member(s) register their card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to their registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.